- People Finder
Faculty-Directed Study Abroad Program DevelopmentPlease note: All academic credit bearing study abroad programs must be administered by the Center for International Education and follow established university policy governing academic programs abroad.
We are pleased that you are considering leading a study abroad program. Study abroad is an integral part of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville student experience and the majority of students who study abroad during their time at UT do so on faculty-directed programs. Leading a study abroad program can be challenging, but the faculty who have chosen to do so have found it to be both professionally and personally rewarding. Some of the benefits of leading a study abroad include:
- Serves the University of Tennessee's mission to graduate globally engaged citizens
- Opportunity to interact with students in a more engaged and meaningful way than occurs on campus in large lecture classes
- Provides opportunity to expand your teaching profile
- Affords the opportunity to dovetail your own international research agenda with the delivery of a course abroad
- Instructional salary
- International airfare
- Foreign housing costs
- Foreign ground transportation costs
- Per diem for meals
- Program Planning Timeline
- Program Leader vs. CIE Responsibilities
- Academic Standards for Faculty-Directed Programs and Policy on Programs in Countries with Travel Warnings or Travel Health Warnings
- Guide to Effective Student Recruitment and Marketing Request Form
- Map of Recent Faculty-Directed Programs
Feel free to contact the CIE at 865-974-3177 or Noah Rost if you have any questions.
Application Deadlines for New ProgramsFall Semester: November 1 of previous academic year
Spring Semester: April 1 of previous academic year
Spring Break: August 1
Mini-Term and Summer September 1
NB: applications received after this date will be at a disadvantage for student recruitment and will be evaluated for viability on a case by case basis.
Steps for New Programs or New Leaders: If you are proposing a new program or have never led a UT study abroad program before, please contact Noah Rost (865-974-3177 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a time to meet prior to completing the electronic Program Registration (recommended internet browser: Firefox).
Application Deadlines for Program Renewals
Fall Semester: November 15 of previous academic year
Spring Semester: April 15 of previous academic year
Spring Break: August 15
Mini-Term and Summer September 15
Contribute to a big idea. Give to International Education.
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System