Skip to content

Financial Aid FAQ

How will I receive my financial aid?

Once it has been determined that some or all of your financial aid can be used for your study abroad program, your financial aid will be applied to your UT charges.  Remember, financial aid funds are disbursed for all students according to the published timeframe.

Will financial aid cover the entire cost of my study abroad program?

It depends. Your financial aid is calculated based on the cost of attending UT. Additional funds may be available for covering the cost of transportation to and from your host institution. For consideration of additional funds, contact One Stop Express Student Services.

How many credits must I take abroad in order to apply my financial aid to study abroad?

In order to receive most financial aid awards, except Pell Grant, for a semester abroad, you must be registered in the equivalent of at least twelve (12) UT credit hours. If you register in less than the equivalent of twelve (12) UT credit hours, you may receive less financial aid. If your foreign transcript indicates registration in fewer credit hours than the number of credit hours in which you originally registered, you may be required to repay financial aid funds. For students studying abroad during a summer term, you must be registered in the equivalent of at least six (6) UT credit hours.

How will grades and credits earned abroad affect my HOPE?

All credit hours posted on your foreign transcript (or another American university transcript) for your semester/summer abroad will be counted as attempted hours for purposes of your HOPE. Grades on the foreign transcript are converted to UT grades and do affect your HOPE GPA. If you reach a HOPE GPA check point at the end of your semester abroad, you must have achieved the GPA required to retain the HOPE. For further information regarding the HOPE, contact One Stop Express Student Services.

Can I receive summer aid from the HOPE?

If you have remaining eligibility and are registered in the equivalent of at least six (6) UT credit hours, you may request HOPE funds to study abroad at a recognized institution.

Will my financial aid be released before my program payment is due?

Financial aid for study abroad students is released according to the published UT timeline. Payments to host universities or affiliate programs are often due prior to these published dates, including programs in the Southern Hemisphere that begin the fall semester in July or early August (spring semester begins in February long after the UT semester begins). Contact your host institution or affiliate program for their recommendation as to how to pay your bill. Some will allow you to sign a promissory note stating that as soon as your financial aid arrives you will pay them immediately. The program provider may request that someone in the UT Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (One Stop) confirm the amount of financial aid you will receive.

Will I need to make loan payments while I am abroad?

Any payments which you are currently making (such as interest payments on an Unsubsidized Stafford loan) need to be continued while studying abroad.

What action should I take if I drop a course or withdraw from the study abroad program?

Notify the Programs Abroad Office and the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships in writing immediately of any planned changes in your course registration such as withdrawing from the program or dropping course hours. Adjustments may be made to your financial aid awards based on your actions, including repayment of a portion of your financial aid.

Will I receive credits for my study abroad program?

In order to receive credits for your study abroad program, arrange with your host institution for an official transcript to be sent to the UT Programs Abroad Office at the end of each semester abroad. The PAO will then forward the original transcript to the Office of the University Registrar. Transcripts should arrive in the PAO no later than two terms after your study abroad term. Students who do not have abroad credits posted within two terms of returning may be asked to repay the financial aid used while studying abroad. If it appears the transcript will arrive later, please provide written notification to the PAO explaining the situation.

Who is responsible for ensuring your program fees are paid?

You are responsible for payment of all program fees through UT, your host institution, and/or your affiliate program. Depending on when your payment is due, your financial aid may not have yet been disbursed. UT financial aid is disbursed according to the published UT timeline. Therefore, you may be required to pay some or all of your program fees prior to receiving your financial aid. It is your responsibility to understand what payments are due when and to make arrangements to pay your fees.

Are there any other steps I need to take to receive my financial aid to study abroad?

Clear all holds, if any, on your registration. The PAO cannot enroll you in the study abroad course if you have any holds. Confirm your attendance each semester, including summer sessions, in the study abroad course, as you would if you were attending classes on the UT campus. The PAO will enroll you in the study abroad course after you have returned all of your forms to the PAO. You cannot receive financial aid if you are not registered in the study abroad course!

Where can I obtain additional information about financial aid for studying abroad?

Information is available online, or you can obtain information from a financial aid advisor at One Stop.

Can I receive financial aid for mini-term?

Yes, you can  receive financial aid for mini term. Students registering for summer school (which includes mini-term) can use the HOPE Scholarship provided you meet the program's minimum GPA requirements and enroll in at least 6 credit hours. 

Contribute to a big idea. Give to International Education.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System