- People Finder
Applying to UT Knoxville
Welcome to the Programs Abroad Office website for international exchange students. We're delighted that you are interested in studying at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UT Knoxville) for a semester or year.
In order to be admitted as an exchange student to UT Knoxville, you must be nominated by your home institution. Please contact your study abroad advisor before downloading the application materials.
Once you have your home institution's nomination, we ask that your study abroad advisor submit the following items on your behalf:
- - International Application Form
- - International Exchange Student Financial Statement Form - You will need to check the budget sheet for your home institution. This budget sheet will indicate how much financial support you will need to show on the Certificate of Financial Responsibility.
- - TOEFL Scores or a Language Proficiency Statement from a university/college professor stating your English level is sufficient to study at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville along side native English speakers. (Applies to non-native English speakers only)
- - Your academic history/transcript in English
- - A photocopy of your passport identification page
Official tuition rates are set each year by the UT Board of Trustees in early summer for the upcoming academic year (August-May). If the budget has not yet been updated for the upcoming academic year, please add an additional 20% to your school's corresponding budget sheet. The additional 20% estimate included on your financial certification should be sufficient to cover possible increases and at the same time allow us to process your completed application.
* Please note that actual costs are subject to change.
The deadline for UT Knoxville to receive the forms is:
- April 1st for Fall/Full year
- October 1st for Spring semester
Once you have provided the necessary financial documentation and have been accepted by UT Knoxville, we will mail you an acceptance letter and DS-2019 form that you will need in order to obtain a J-1 visa from the US Embassy or Consulate in your country. Please read the International Student Exchange Handbook for additional important information.
We look forward to hosting you at UT Knoxville for a semester or two. If you have questions, please contact us.
Contribute to a big idea. Give to International Education.
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System